Thursday, July 9, 2009

Book Review: Union Park: a place of memories

I first heard of Union Park when I was a freshman at Wahlert High School, Dubuque. The topic was part of a unit on Dubuque History in Mr. Bill Rhomberg's social studies class. Almost two decades later, my interest was re-ignited, and I was fortunate enough to come across a copy of Union Park: a place of memories written by Michael A. Boge. I found my copy in the gift shop of the Dubuque Arboretum. It was printed in 1983 and offered my first glimpse of Union Park as it used to be.

The book is 118 pages and includes 6 chapters: In The Beginning, Stewart Park, Union Park, The Flood, The Revival, and A New Beginning. The book includes a history of the park as well as a first hand account of the day of the flood as told by Arletta Mitchley. There are photo images of the aftermath of the flood. The book also includes a hand-drawn map of Union Park Hollow. While there is a bibliography, many of the images are uncredited.

The book is currently out of print; however, copies are available at a few libraries. To find out if one is available at your local library, search the Worldcat database. If your library doesn't own a copy, stop by the Reference Desk and ask about doing an Inter-library loan. To find a library near you, search the Library Locator.

No comments: